Wednesday, October 29, 2008

my posse's on broadway

Being born and raised in Seattle gives me a deep appreciation of all things Broadway. From the students crawling at Seattle Central to Dick's to the Hendrix statue to the panhandler's witty signs... I love this place! I don't know how many times I have ended up there at 2 in the morning after a night of drinking, devouring a Dick's Deluxe at the outside counter, after having given my fries to the homeless guy and his dog sitting by the newspaper stands. I can't imagine what it would be like without the diversity of the dodge ball players at the tennis courts, with their knee high socks, afros, yellow rubber balls and boom boxes. Once I even saw a skateboarder wearing a rabbit costume head while he rode back and forth, dodging random cars and homeless people!
Although I've enjoyed the quirks of Broadway for many years, I have discovered a few more reasons to love it. I got home from work the other night and it was one of those nights where you just want to get dressed up and have a few drinks and pretend like you don't have to work the next day. So with my gay by my side, I headed directly for Broadway and we ended up at the Broadway Grill. We walked in and the place was decked out for Halloween with pumpkins everywhere and fake spider webs and costume contest fliers. We were seated right away and everyone was really nice. Other than the wait staff being a little slow (due to the heavy volume), everything was really great. We started with one of those spinach-artichoke-jalapeƱo dips with pita bread, which was good, but I think they left out the jalapeƱos. Nathaniel ordered a Dungeness crab sandwich and I got fish and chips. Both dishes were huge, tasted amazing, and were reasonably priced. We even got to chatting up our neighboring table a bit. To say the least, we were having a great time. Then, after we had finished eating, we were having a discussion that looped from how hot one of the line cooks was to where we are going to go dancing on Halloween to his new love interest to who we consider to be appropriate candidates for anxiety or depression meds (don't ask). All the sudden the not so hot line cook let out the loudest burp, and we both stopped talking and just stared at each other, while looking at the cook with our peripherals. I couldn't even say anything, but the ever witty Nathaniel says, without missing a beat, "And he just cooked our food." Totally sick.
On another note, we also stopped into Trendy Wendy, which is a little hole in the wall clothing store that also sells a lot of trendy accessories. As I am leaving on my cruise in two weeks, Nathaniel and I thought it very fitting that I should happen to acquire some new pieces to take with me. We tried on heaps of stuff, and finally settled on 3 shirts, two hats, earrings and a coin purse. I also had my eye on the diamond microphone chain, but it wouldn't have matched my shoes (wink). Anyway, the staff was wicked helpful and funny, and played along as I told jokes at the counter. Right up until we realized we didn't bring our debit cards. Fuck. I really wanted those clothes too... Just another reason for me to go back to Broadway! Either way, the store was fun, current, and the employees were a blast... I can't wait to go back and get Trendy'd out!

Below are a few pictures from me on Broadway...



No comments:

word on the street is...